Now you can install extra packages that you need or want.
- Definite must
- Allows secured remote connections to the computer.
- Graphical partition editor. It is also useful for help with adding and removing hard drives.
- If you want to share files and folders with windows (and other) computers then this is the easiest thing to use.
- nfs-kernel-server nfs-common portmap
- If you are thinking of setting up some permanent file sharing between two Ubuntu computers then this is the way to go as it offers better performance than samba and more reliability as later versions of samba may not start with the rest of the computer.
- Graphical cron editor.
- This adds certain bits to your Ubuntu that don't come by default including codecs and flash. To enable dvd playback, add this apt repo and run the commands "http://packages.medibuntu.org/ natty free non-free":
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 $ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
- If you want to run applications like Spotify or other windows-only programs then this is what you need.
- Sends an email when there are apt updates to process (remember to add your email address to /etc/apticron/apticron.conf and have sendmail). Useful for remote, headless servers.
- If you want to read or create HFS+ partitions for Mac then you will need this. Remember that if you want to write to the HFS+ partition, you might have to temporarily disable journaling on the partition in question.
- This is an alternative media player, good for not making a mess of your music library like iTunes and Windows Media Player.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install clementine
- This is a graphical package manager inside your terminal window which may not be included by default. Very useful for removing older kernels after upgrading them
- An alternative media player loaded with codecs. Much like VLC but differenter. See here for more details.
Potentially missing packages from this list: vlc, w32codecs, compizconfig settings manager (CCSM)
Remember that EnvyNG should not be used in favour of the restricted drivers utility.
Choose from the packages you want and add them after the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install <package name>